SM003 – OK Hamfests/Tailgate Events 2021
OK Hamfests/Tailgate Events 2021
Hamfests are amateur radio’s in-person conferences or conventions. While we have missed these events for the past year or so, we have four of them scheduled for 2021. The first two of these are outdoor tailgate events, and the last two are full-blown hamfests. If you are new to the hobby, these events allow you to learn more about amateur radio, have fun, and buy and sell equipment from local hams. For us experienced hams, these are great ways to meet old friends, make some new friends, and buy/sell some gear.
Put these dates on your calendar and get your tickets now!
- Pryor Outdoor Tailgate Event (Pryor) – June 12, 2021
- Green Country Outdoor Tailgate Swap Meet (Tulsa) – September 11, 2021 – http://www.greencountryhamfest.org/
- Hamarama Holiday (Ardmore) – October 22/23, 2021 – https://hamholiday.com
- Enid Hamfest (Enid) – November 5/6, 2021 – https://enidarc.org/enidhamfest
Field Day 2021
ARRL’s Field Day always happens on the fourth full weekend in June. Field Day is ham radio’s open house, and it is an excellent way for you to show amateur radio to your friends and family. If you are new to amateur radio, this is a great place to learn more about the hobby quickly. Typically, most operating modes are on display or are available for you to discuss. Join more than 40,000 hams throughout North America set up temporary transmitting stations. It combines public service, emergency preparedness, education, fun, community outreach, and technical skills all in a single event. Field Day has been held annually since 1933 and remains the most popular event in ham radio. More information is available in the June issue of QST, and all of the details are online at http://www.arrl.org/field-day. Find a local field day site, or list your club on the field day locator site at http://www.arrl.org/field-day-locator.
Amateur radio clubs are the backbone of the hobby. All of the tremendous local hams have good information, and as Elmers or mentors, they love to share it. Send something that your club is doing well to me firstname.lastname@example.org, and I’ll feature your club in this newsletter. Most clubs have seen an increase in new member activity during the pandemic. Our Oklahoma Affiliated Club Coordinator, Jim Shideler W5JCS, can help you find a club or help your club become affiliated. We currently have 38 clubs listed on the ARRL Find-a-club directory at http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club. Look for a club near you, or verify that your club is on the list. Send Jim an email at W5JCS@arrl.net if you need club assistance.
You can find ARRL Oklahoma Section all over the web at:
- ARESOK — https://aresok.org/
- ARRL.org — http://www.arrl.org/sections/view/oklahoma
- Blogspot — http://arrlok.blogspot.com/
- Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/arrloklahoma
- Twitter — https://twitter.com/arrl_OK/
- ARRL Member Emails — https://www.arrl.org/myarrl-account-management#!/edit-info-email_subscriptions
JOIN/RENEW ARRL NOW — http://arrl.org/join/
73, de N5HZR — Stand by, more follows…